CMS Allows Certain States to Extend Medicaid Grant Enrollment Period
The deadline has passed to get new dentists enrolled in the EHR Incentive grant - or so we thought! At least 20 states have confirmed that new providers can still attest to AIU or MU for the FIRST time through March 2017! In these states, you can still qualify for the $63,750.00 for each dental provider with year one money alone at $21,250.00. Here are a list of the states that are still open! If your dental office is in one of these states and you see Medicaid patients, call us today!
States that can still accept new year one applications for the EHR program!
Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maines, Massachussettes, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode, Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Vermont.
In these states CMS, clarified that they can except new enrollees into the EHR Incentive Program into March of 2017. These new enrollees must sign up in time to complete and submit a 2016 attestation by March 31, 2017 with a 2/28/2017 deadline for CMS registration. New enrollees would be first time attesters to the program whether they are attesting for AIU or MU.
Remember to Qualify for the Medicaid Dental EHR Program, you must meet these qualifications:
Eligible professionals* under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program include:
- Physicians (primarily doctors of medicine and doctors of osteopathy)
- Nurse practitioner
- Certified nurse-midwife
- Physician assistant who furnishes services in a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Clinic that is led by a physician assistant.
*In certain states, optometrists are eligible for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program. For an optometrist to be eligible, the state Medicaid program must cover adult optometry services as physician services in the Medicaid State Plan. Please check with your state Medicaid agency for more information
To qualify for an incentive payment under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, an eligible professional must alsomeet one of the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 30% Medicaid patient volume*
- Have a minimum 20% Medicaid patient volume, and is a pediatrician*
- Practice predominantly in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Rural Health Clinic (RHC) and have a minimum 30% patient volume attributable to needy individuals
* Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) patients do not count toward the Medicaid patient volume criteria in most states..
What requirements do you have to meet to receive an EHR incentive payment?
To receive an EHR incentive payment under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, providers have to meet certain requirements. CMS has established the objectives for “meaningful use” that everyone must meet to receive an incentive payment. We will assist you in determining if your office qualifies for the program.
- In their first year of participation, providers can adopt, implement, upgrade to, or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology.
In their second year of participation and subsequent participation years, providers must show that they are using their EHRs in a meaningful way by meeting thresholds for a number of objectives. This means that if you want to qualify for grant money in years two through six, then you MUST be using one of the approved certified EHR dental software systems like Total Dental®.
Additional Information for Eligible Professionals Participating in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program:
- The program is administered voluntarily by states and territories, and CMS and State Medicaid offices will pay incentives through 2021. Eligible professionals are eligible for incentive payments for 6 years, and participation years do not have to be consecutive.
- The last year that an eligible professional can begin participation has been extended in 20 states to March 2017. Incentive payments for eligible professionals are higher under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Payments— up to $63,750 over 6 years.
- Eligible professionals can receive an incentive payment for adopting, implementing, or upgrading (AIU) certified EHR technology in their first year of participation.
- In subsequent years, eligible professionals can receive incentive payments for successfully demonstrating meaningful use.
- If you qualify for both the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs, you must choose which program you want to participate in. If you are only eligible for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, you will not be subject to payment adjustments.
- Medicaid eligible professionals who also treat Medicare patients will have a payment adjustment to Medicare reimbursements starting in 2015 if they do not successfully demonstrate meaningful use. Deadlines, resources, and links
- Beginning in 2015, eligible professionals who do not successfully demonstrate meaningful use were subject to a Medicare payment adjustment. The payment reduction starts at 1% and increases each year that an eligible professional does not demonstrate meaningful use, to a maximum of 5%.
Please keep in mind that each individual state Medicaid program is different but we are here to help and we will do it for you!
Meaningful use and the EHR Incentive program is here to stay but the door is closing. Don't miss your last chance to qualify for the EHR grant money and receive $63,750.00 per eligible provider. This program was designed to help practices upgrade their technology, go paperless, and make it easier to comply with HIPAA and other government regulations. It is easier than ever for dentists to achieve meaningful use and if you are a high Medicaid provider, don’t delay getting started. The states want their high providers to participate in the EHR incentive program and move to a certified EHR. Remember, that each state has different rules so please check for local state resources or work with one of our specially trained team members at Total Dental to assist you through evert step of the process.
About Total Dental®
Total Dental® is an affordable cloud or web based dental software that is an ONC Certified EHR. Total Dental® is a state of the art dental practice management system designed specifically for Dental Service Organizations (DSOs) and large groups but works well for a smaller office too! The system comes complete with scheduling, charting, billing, a patient portal, reporting and much more. Total Dental® is integrated with partners such as NEA, Sikka, Televox, EDS, Dosespot and others to offer additional services to our clients. Our imaging integrations include Dexis, Schick, Kodak/Carestream, Apteryx and many more. Some key benefits of using Total Dental® include: line item adjustment and posting, CDT codes included, eRX included, reporting for single offices or real time views across multi-locations, advanced tooth and perio charting, state of the art dashboard, production scheduling and reporting...basically everything you need to manage a successful dental practice!
Our Standard EHR package starts at only $199 for the first Dentist user per month, $99.00 for each additional Dentist, and each comes with two free support user licenses. It includes training, storage, phiMail Secure Messaging, Patient Data Migration, Unlimited Support, two Free support staff for each dentist user.